Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Two Men with the Blues

Yesterday evening Lizzy and I attended the Willie Nelson-Wynton Marsalis concert at the Rose Theater at Lincoln Center. It was a terrific performance, highlighted by the guest appearance of Norah Jones, who sang lead, duet or backup on most of the numbers. The song list was both a tribute to Ray Charles, as he had recorded signature versions of all of them, and a musical arc of the emotional highs and lows of love. Between songs Wynton, Willie and Norah would banter a bit about what was going on between the lovers.

The band, consisting of Marsalis' quintet and Nelson's harmonica player, and Willie on his old battered guitar, was outstanding. As always, Marsalis was a smart and warm emcee; Lizzy pointed out how much he seemed to enjoy listening to his fellow musicians during their solo turns. Jones brought an emotional depth to many of the songs that Nelson's restrained, smooth vocals can't, thus acting as the live connection to the old Charles' recordings that inspired the concert. In particular, her interpretation of "You Don't Know Me" was truly heart-rending.

There was a swarm of HD video cameras at work documenting the show, so it is likely that it will be aired, perhaps on PBS, in the near future. I highly recommend it.

Here's the playlist: Hallelujah, I Love Her So; Come Rain or Come Shine; You Are My Sunshine; Unchain My Heart; Crying Time; Losing Hand; Hit the Road Jack; I'm Moving On; Busted; You Don't Know Me; Here We Go Again; Makin' Whoopee; I Love You So Much (It Hurts); What'd I Say. The encore was, fittingly, That's All.

For those interested, the Times reviewed the concert: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/arts/music/11mars.html?_r=1&scp=4&sq=willie%20nelson&st=cse

2 comments:

  1. Ken, I read the Times review yesterday and was sorry I missed the concert.......it sounds as if it was an excellent show, except for the fact that "Georgia" was MIA. I saw Willie solo a few years ago, and given his age, he puts on an amazing performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing concert! Glad you got to see/hear it in person. Will you be putting pictures on flickr?

    ReplyDelete